How to Grow Broccoli Sprouts at Home
I imagine that you've heard about the health benefits of broccoli sprouts. Research has shown that 3-4 day old broccoli sprouts contain high levels of sulforaphanes, which is known as a cancer-fighting compound.
In this article, we'll show you how to grow broccoli sprouts with a glass sprouting jar. You can also use a plastic sprouting colander or a hemp sprouting bag. If you choose one of these methods, you may need to experiment with the quantities of seeds that you use.
- One litre glass sprouting jar.
- 1.5 tablespoons of non-GMO, non-hybrid and not chemically treated (preferably organic) broccoli seeds.
Instructions for sprouting broccoli seeds
- Rinse 1.5 tablespoons of seeds in cool water.
- Add seeds to your glass sprouting jar. Top up with water.
- Soak for 4-8 hours.
- Drain the water from your seeds, using the sprouting lid (strainer) in your jar. Rinse with cool water for at least a few minutes.
- Place your jar upside down in a bowl or in a dish drainer, and leave to drain for 8-12 hours.
- Rinse well.
- Repeat the draining and rinsing process for 3-4 days until your broccoli seeds have sprouted.
- Your harvest will be approximately 1-1.5 cups.
Tips and troubleshooting
- Rinse your sprouts well (at least a few minutes each time) to reduce the risk of mould. High humidity/temperatures are a common cause of mould.
- Discard your sprouts if they have visible signs of mould, or if they don't look right. They will usually have a small web of root hairs, which is OK and normal. Mould will have black or brown spots.
- Broccoli sprouts have a distinct sulphur-like smell, but they should not have an overpowering smell. Inadequate drainage can 'drown' your seeds. When draining your seeds, ensure that they are not left soaking in a puddle of water.
- It is advisable to use the recommended amount of seeds, as too many seeds will lead to sprouts overcrowding, clumping and mould.
- Keep your sprouts out of direct sunlight. The best spot to grow your sprouts is on your kitchen bench.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.